resolver linking problem

Reggie reg01 at atlbiz.com
Fri Aug 2 17:55:26 UTC 2002

Well, it seems I've been able to find the answer somewhat.   After more
hair pulling, I finally figured out that I need to include the header files
in the /usr/local/bind/include instead of the default locations.  After
making the change to include netdb.h, arpa/nameser.h, resolv.h from the
/usr/local/bind/include directory, it only objected to this:

/usr/local/bind/include/arpa/nameser.h:571: arpa/nameser_compat.h: No such
file or directory

I opened nameser.h and removed these 3 lines and everything compiles now.
#ifdef BIND_4_COMPAT
#include <arpa/nameser_compat.h>
#endif

If I simply change the reference to include the nameser_compat.h, I get all
sorts of warnings and errors so removing the reference works for the time
being.  I hate fixing something without really understanding why it fixes
it.  Cany anyone shed some light on why the namser_compat.h generates these
types of errors?

/usr/include/arpa/nameser.h:349: warning: `PUTLONG' redefined
/usr/local/bind/include/arpa/nameser_compat.h:229: warning: this is the
location
 of the previous definition
In file included from /usr/local/bind/include/resolv.h:68,
                 from main.c:5:
/usr/include/arpa/nameser.h:294: conflicting types for `HEADER'
/usr/local/bind/include/arpa/nameser_compat.h:130: previous declaration of
`HEAD
ER'

Thanks
Reg