bind9.2.1 named-checkzone errors..

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Aug 1 14:56:27 UTC 2002

Steve Foster <fosters at uk.psi.com> wrote:

> Hi there,

> i am getting a number of errors when running named-checkzone on a test
> primary server, that i would like to iron out, the errors are listed below,
> can anybody help with them, they are causing the zones to be refected:

> 1: In this instance , there is an MX entry with a TTL added, e.g:
> mail               1800    IN      MX      40 host.foo.bar.

> dns_master_load: /var/domain/data-uk/16/lists.uploaded.com:15: TTL set to
> prior TTL (86400)

> However it seems to disregard the 1800 TTL , and sets it to the default for
> the zone, is this entry-type TTL not valid anymore.

You probably has some other entry for 'mail' with a differing TTL

A record-set ( several lines with the same LHS ) may not have different TTL
This is defined in standards and bind-9 adheres to standards.

> 2: In this instance there is multiple CNAME entries for a www record, which
> was previously accepted under bind8.2.3

It was never legal, older bind either neglected it or allowed it
after a special config syntax.

Bind-9 adheres to standards, and tries to protect you from
doing a stupid thing.

Dont do multiple-cnames, they don't give the effect you think. Replace
with a correct config.

> dns_master_load: /var/domain/data-uk/24/bluewave.com:191:
> knorr-sweepstake.bluewave.com: multiple RRs of sin
> gleton type

> knorr-sweepstake        IN      CNAME   mccartney.bluewave.com.
> knorr-sweepstake        IN      CNAME   ntiis4.bluewave.com.

> Should i be converting these to standard cnames of e.g:

> knorr-sweepstake        IN      CNAME   mccartney
> knorr-sweepstake        IN      CNAME   ntiis4

No. "knorr-sweepstake" may be a CNAME, but in that case nothing
else may have a LHS of "knorr-sweepstake"

--
Peter Håkanson