Finding difficulty in delegating to a different nameserver

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 30 23:40:17 UTC 2002

sanapala at yahoo.com wrote:

> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<akm13f$dkj$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
> > Fred Viles wrote:
> >
> > > Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in
> > > news:akjm5h$esof$1 at isrv4.isc.org:

> > > The owner name was correct (".") in the post as it appeared on the
> > > newsgroup.  I expect it is your MTA or MUA that doubled the ".".
> > >
> > > Looks like it should already work to me.  Maybe the OP is expecting
> > > *.something1.mvpx.com to match the wildcard?
> >
> > Ah, yes, the perils of cut & paste.
> >
> > I too would be interested in knowing what names were supposedly not
> > wildcarding as expected...
> >

> > - Kevin
>
> Kevin,
> Without the following 3 lines in the "iammaster" file, wildcarding
> used to work for every thing.
> something1.mvpx.com.      IN NS   dns-sj.mvpx.com.
> something2.mvpx.com.      IN NS   dns-sj.mvpx.com.
> dns-sj.mvpx.com.          IN A    171.70.168.183
>
> DNS used to resolve all the requests to its own IP as expected.
> But with the above three lines it resolves
> only "something1.mvpx.com" and "something2.mvpx.com" using
> dns-sj.mvpx.com.
> But any other request like
> "www.yahoo.com", "somejunk.com", or "sadsds.com.asad" is not resolved
> and
> "Non-existent domain" error is displayed to a "nslookup" request from
> client.
> All these requests will be resolved  to DNS own IP if I don't add
> above mentioned 3 lines.
> BIND 8.2.2 is being used.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I got the same zone file (with the ".." versus "." bogosity straightened out) working as
expected. I just tried it with a BIND 8.2.2 executable, and it works too. So either you're
misunderstanding the results of your tests, there's something about your config you're not
telling us, or something is wrong with your nameserver build. Why don't you try simplifying
things as much as possible by *only* loading the root zone (maybe there's something in one of
the other zone files -- the contents of which you haven't shown us -- that's causing a
problem)? Also, make sure to check your logs for any kind of load errors. Failing all of that,
try cranking up debug to see why the wildcard matching isn't working as expected.

- Kevin