authortative DNS server for my domain

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 27 00:30:22 UTC 2002

fong at pigtail.net wrote:

> I have a newbie question.
>
> I own domain pigtail.net and I am paying for a DNS hosting service,
> everything is working perfectly.
> I am thinking of runing my own DNS servers in the future.
>
> I found a friend who has a block of static IP and he allows me
> to run my own DNS server (BIND 9, Debian) on one of his static
> IP addresses, I have IP address 207.232.97.14 as my BIND/DNS server.
> It is setup and running BIND 9 on Debian, as the authoritative server for
> pigtail.net.
>
> I setup zone file as below (simplified a bit) and "dig" to check,
> everything seems fine with dig. I know I am missing the secondary DNS,
> but my question is not about primary/secondary, bear with me for a moment.
>
> My domain register is register.com (I also have domains with godaddy.com)
> in the DNS server control panels,
> I am only allowed to enter FQDN for DNS servers, so if I enter
> ns1.pigtail.net as my primary name server, I have this unresolved
> question in mind:
>
> When a host tries to resolve www.pigtail.net for the first time,
> query is sent to root servers, then root servers
> send them to authortative name server which is ns1.pigtail.net
>
> But how does anyone know that ns1.pigtail.net is 207.232.97.14 ?
> Unless they are sent to 207.232.97.14, they would not know
> that ns1.pigtail.net is at 207.232.97.14 ??
>
> This seems to be a round about catch 22 situation.
> Your insights in this puzzle is very much appreciated.
>
> All the HOWTO documents I read did not address this issue.

In general, the Catch-22 is solved by allowing the parent zone to contain
"glue" A records for the nameservers in the child zone. How the necessary
IP address information is collected will vary from registrar to registrar,
but according to register.com's answer to the "How do I register a
DNS (Domain Name Server) on the Internet?" FAQ question: "In the event that
Domain Manager cannot translate the DNS name into an IP address, you will be
prompted to enter the IP address of the Domain Name Server you are attempting
to register".

- Kevin