Named Dies

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Aug 23 13:30:19 UTC 2002

Sanjay Kulkarni <sanjay.kulkarni at wipro.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running BIND version 8.2.1 and we have a serious problem of
> 'named' dying whenever our Internet Link goes down.

Shure, you ought to have problems with bind-8.2.1  This version
is probably the single most broken into version of bind.
Don't you read any security related newsgroups ? CERT
had announcements 1999 ( www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1999-14.html) about
a successor of this problem !!

Replace with current version. NOW.

> Because named stops, out messaging server sendmail 8.11.3, bounces all
> the internet mails.
>
> Could you please let us know, how do we take care such that named should
> not stop because of Internet link being down?
> If there is any configuration to be done with the resolver libraries, pl
> let us know.

As recent Vulnerabilities pops up, bind-9, current version 9.2.1 is
the way to go. Don't settle for less.

--
Peter Håkanson