root servers list changing?

Matthew Hannigan mlh at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 20 00:30:21 UTC 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 08:57:15AM -0700, Cricket Liu wrote:
> > > Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  If you mean DNS jargon,
> > > yeah, it absolutely uses a lot of jargon.  I would count any book on
> > > DNS as remiss that didn't introduce you to a lot of DNS jargon.
> >
> > I think the bit of jargon I particularly didn't like is
> > the root cache file.  It's called a cache file but it isn't
> > really a cache file, as far as I can see.  Also, it has many
> > names:
> >     db.cache (in the book)
> >     named.root (from rs.internic.net)
> >     named.ca    (another variant I think I've seen)
> >     root.cache
> >     etc...
>
> I'm not sure how--or even whether--to respond to this.  Saying that
> you don't like the fact that it's called (or was called) the cache file is
> like saying you morally object to a name server being called a slave.
> I didn't make up the terminology, I just documented it.

Fair enough, I didn't mean to imply you made up
the terminology, but it would have been nice to emphasise
the fact that this is not a cache despite the name, and also
it would be nice to not see so man names for the same thing.
Why not keep with original name, "named.root" ?
Or db.root if you wanted to keep the prefix db. consistent.

> Anyway, the fourth edition uses the term "root hints file" almost
> exclusively.

Excellent.

Matt