DHCP & BIND dynamic updates

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Aug 19 18:20:36 UTC 2002

Sasa <sasa.pavlovic at kr.hinet.hr> wrote:
> I installed from rpm's
> Redhat 7.3 , bind 9.2, ISC dhcp 3.0.1 and have a
> problem with dyn. update named can't create JNL (journal) file => permison
> denied
> => /etc/zonefile.jnl (zonefile is my domain zone file).
> Any one know how to deal with that problem

Check and adjust ownership and permissions on the directories involved.

( do not for a moment nelieve that _any_ vendor does the right thing, in
my expeience all vendors misses details now and then)

Look out for :
- named and the user that named runs under, has write capability on the
directory stated with "directory"
- file in this/these drectories are writable by same user ( if you expect
named to write them )
- no acl's or simular prohibits write

also note that running named as non-root will impact the ability to discover
new interfaces and start using them.

--
Peter Håkanson