W2K multi-master features

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Aug 19 13:08:24 UTC 2002

"Michael E. Hanson" <MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com> replied to my post in
part:

>However, if your domain/zone is AD integrated, there should
>not be any DNS servers acting as standard secondaries, they should all be AD
>Integrated.

Then you are saying that I should not have a BIND slave.  I agree that
the MS implementation assumes that all of the DNS servers will be
AD-integrated.  But they had to support BIND slaves, for obvious
reasons).  And their AD/DNS structure does not fit well with BIND
slaves, hence the problems I have discussed at length with MS.
I personally believe that MS wants all of the BIND servers converted
to MS W2k DNS servers, but they know that that will never happen.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov