linux, dns, router & static ip

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 16 20:41:06 UTC 2002

nrr3nyc at netscape.net wrote:

> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<ajh0uj$8mpi$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
> >
> > You must forward port 53 to your Linux box.You shouldn't need to disable DHCP in
> > order to do that. Just make sure that your Linux box'es IP address is outside the
> > range that the Linksys is using for DHCP (but still on the same subnet of course).
> >

> > - Kevin
>
> ok, thanks for the response.  tried your suggestion
> and set up port 53 to forward to my linux server.
> my linux server is called ursuline.nrr3.org.
> the following cmd still does not work:
> nslookup  ursuline.nrr3.org.  ns2.speakeasy.net.
>
> i may be missing a zone dta file.
> let's say my isp gave me the static ip is 1.2.3.4.
> i've assigned my linux server 192.168.1.2.
> do i need zone data files for my static ip 1.2.3.4?
> i do not have them in my current configuration.

nrr3.org is currently delegated to worldnic.com nameservers. If you want to host that domain,
you'll need to get it delegated to 2 (or more) nameservers which could be all yours, all
someone else's, or some mixture of yours and someone else's. (The requirement here is that
there must be at least 2 nameservers for every zone).

Presumably your registrar is "worldnic". You'd make this change through them.

Note that it is not required for you to host your own reverse record(s) (e.g. "1.2.3.4" in your
example, although *real* names and addresses are preferred on this list). If you own an address
range smaller than /24 you'll need to play games (see RFC 2317) in co-operation with your
service provider in order to host your reverse records, and it may not be worth the effort.
Some mail servers and/or FTP servers insist on matching A & PTR records, however, so you should
be aware of that. In order to humor such servers, it might be sufficient for your provider to
add a matching A record into one of their forward zones.

- Kevin