Trouble resolving Addresses

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 14 22:01:18 UTC 2002

"W. Gregg Roth" wrote:

> Since upgrading to Bind-9.2.1 we are having trouble resolving addresses in
> the UK one address being doc.ic.ac.uk .. .. windows servers in our domain
> handle it just fine ..
>
> Anyone else see something similar to this ?

9.2.1 handles it fine here, and testing the domain looked
okayish.

The delegation of ic.ac.uk is a bit muddled, as is the
delegation of doc.ic.ac.uk, but nothing I'd expect BIND to
struggle with. Does look like Imperial have been making DNS
changes recently, so maybe you have a bad intermediate version
cached - try "rndc flush".

Now if you tell us what other names are causing a problem, and
what you see when you try to "dig" them, we might be able to
help more.

Possible also that BIND 9 is using a different port for queries
and you have a firewall problem. Do you use forwarding or other
unusual configurations? What did you upgrade from BIND 9
earlier, BIND 8, BIND 4?

Given their history you'd expect IC to be good at DNS, but I
guess expertise can leave Universities quicker than it arrives,
or they wouldn't be much use as instituitions ;)