Bind sensible limits??

Bind-Users Mailist bind-users at dns1.vizion2000.net
Wed Aug 14 02:24:40 UTC 2002

Information for those with experience of managing a large dns database.

What are the performance limits for large dns databases?

Given the following variations:
O/S Freebsd V 4.5 +
Processor Single/dual
CPU Athlon/Xeon
Ram 1.5G 4G 12G

Zones 1
Max Records
MX	1023/4095/8191/12298
CNAME   1023/4095/8191/12298

Can anyone give me any guidance about the performance in terms of the sort of response rate in ms and the volumes of enquiries that each server could be expected to handle. We are assuming here that the bandwidth eeded will not be choked and that there is good load balancing between servers.

Searched the web for whois server download.

Free WHOIS Lookup Service
Multi-registrar whois lookup
through a web interface.
www.accesswhois.com