BIND Versions for SRV Records and Dynamic Update

Nitin Khurana nkhurana at novell.com
Tue Aug 13 09:37:44 UTC 2002

Could you please tell me how can I find the BIND version  on a Solaris =
machine.=20
I just had a look at the file /usr/include/netdb.h where it says BIND =
4.9.3 (Is that the right way to confirm the BIND version?? ) and this is =
the machine I use as a client to do the dynamic update and it allows me =
the dynamic update and query of SRV records. The DNS Server I use is a =
Linux machine which has a BIND version of 8.2.2. Could you please explain =
me as to what version of bind on the server and what on the client is =
expected to do the dynamic updates.=20

As far as the SRV support is concerned I guess that depends only on the =
Server side Bind Version???

Thanks in advance.

Nitin Khurana.

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Nitin Khurana wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am looking for the minimum BIND versions required for SRV Record =
=3D
> Support and the minimum BIND versions for the support of dynamic updates =
=3D
> (RFC 2136). Could you please give me that small information?
>      And if you could tell  me what are the default BIND versions that =
=3D
> come with Solaris 7 and 8 and with Red Hat Linux 7.1/7.2 ? and with =3D
> Caldera Linux 3.1

You should be using the latest versions of either BIND 8, or BIND 9,
depending on your preference...  You shouldn't be looking for the oldest
ones.