Apparent inconsistence -- bind-9.2.0

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 30 20:42:39 UTC 2002

In article <aams6i$mn4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Neil W Rickert  <rickert+nn at cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>The authoritative DNS server for vadodaramail.net apparently has no
>records for ns1.vadodaramail.net.  However, records (ns and glue) are
>picked up from the delegation by root servers.

What probably happened is that the glue record got flushed from the cache,
but the NS records were still in the cache.  So when you asked for the
ns1.vadodaramail.net, your caching server forwarded the query to the other
authoritative server, *not* a GTLD server.  The authoritative server
replied that the name doesn't exist, and this reply was forwarded back to
you.

The only time the caching server would go to the GTLD servers, and
therefore get the answer from the glue, is when the NS records have been
flushed from the cache.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA