Help diagnosing where my problem lies, Thanks

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 29 15:12:13 UTC 2002

In article <aaii5t$dih at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Larry Buss  <labuss at magothy.com> wrote:
>I recently moved to a different provider and as such received new IP
>addresses. I had a rough time with Network Solutions getting the DNS
>host information changed. Would someone email me (labuss at erols.com)
>the output from a whois query.

Registrant:
BUSS, LARRY (MAGOTHY3-DOM)
   550 M Ritchie Highway #207
   SEVERNA PARK, MD 21146
   US

   Domain Name: MAGOTHY.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      BUSS, LARRY  (GZVQURNQSI)		labuss at EROLS.COM
      BUSS,LARRY
      550 M Ritchie Highway #207
      SEVERNA PARK, MD  21146
      US
      (410) 439-4796 (410) 439-4796

   Record expires on 22-Sep-2002.
   Record created on 23-Sep-1996.
   Database last updated on 29-Apr-2002 11:01:46 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   K9.MAGOTHY.COM               208.58.7.163
   NS1.BROADVIEWNET.NET         64.115.0.9

>I think my problem is that broadviewnet.net has the reverse addressing
>wrong (or hasn't done it yet) for my nameserver (k9.magothy.com,
>64.115.53.36) or any of my hosts.

It looks like you never really changed the Host record with Verisign.  It
still has the old address.

The other problem is that ns1.broadviewnet.net doesn't seem to be
configured as a slave server for your domain.  Or maybe you didn't tell
them to change the address that they're pulling from, and the zone expired
on their server (you have your Expire time set to only 1 day, which doesn't
leave much time for troubleshooting).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA