RTT: how it works

jefferson.f.moreira at hsbc.com.br jefferson.f.moreira at hsbc.com.br
Mon Apr 29 12:00:36 UTC 2002

>What is this "75s" timeout you're referring to? That sounds more like a
client
>timeout, e.g. a time it takes a browser to fail over to another web server
>address.

Exactly...the resolver delay. I figure RTT has nothing to do with client
side,
but still ask if the resolver would behave like that, i.e., in the case a
NS
failing, will it send a request to the failed NS...and wait?? How long?

I wond if this behavior could ruin the entire solution, or not...

Thanks!
Jeff.

> Hi all.
>
> I have a doubt on DNS servers behavior regarding RTT.
>
> Consider the following diagram:
>
>       cwb.somenet.net.br                  cwb.somenet.net.br
>             [cs1]                                [cs2]
>               |                                    |
>               |                                    |
>      +------[Sw1]------+                  +------[Sw2]-----+
>      /      /   \       \                /       /   \      \
>     /      /     \       \              /       /     \      \
>  (NS1)  [Srv1]   [Srv2]   \            /    [Srv3]   [Srv4]  (NS2)
>                            \          /
>                         (Router)---(Router)
>                              \      /
>                               \    /
>                              (Router)
> [ Corp NS ]---------------------+
>
> CS1/2 =3D Content Service Switches with DNS service
> Sw1 =3D Switches
> NS1/2 =3D Two Win2k Name servers. They=B4re not primary and secondary,
> but two servers with the same db.
>
> These questions apply to a query from an external NS (let=B4s say, a
> corporate NS)querying NS1 that will delegate it to CS1.
>
> q1: (this applies to the CSSs)
> When there are 2 name servers (SOAs) for one domain, how is calculated
> the Round Trip Time? At exactly what moment will be calculated this RTT
> and how often?

The RTT will be recalculated every time the nameserver is used. In the
event
that a particular nameserver doesn't answer (this leads into your next
question), the RTT value for that nameserver will be severely penalized.
But
that nameserver will still be tried occasionally, in case it has recovered.

> q2: in the event of one of the CSx failing, will we have that 75s time
> out? How to overcome that? What is the default behavior?

As long as both of your nameservers are published nameservers for the zone,
then other nameservers should quickly fail over when one of them becomes
unavailable for whatever reason.

What is this "75s" timeout you're referring to? That sounds more like a
client
timeout, e.g. a time it takes a browser to fail over to another web server
address. Hopefully you realize that the RTT calculations only apply to
nameserver-to-nameserver interactions and have *nothing* to do with
client/server interactions. The CSS technology (which I'm vaguely familiar
with, since we use them here) sometimes tends to blur the distinction
between
the two...

- Kevin

This message and any attachments are confidential to the ordinary user of
the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged. If
you are not the adressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any
part of the message or its attachments and if you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete it from your system.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the context of this message which arise as a result of
Internet transmission.