Local domain tries Internet resolution????

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 23:34:50 UTC 2002

Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:

> > My nameserver (BIND v9.2.0, on a Linux box) provides local name
> > resolution and caching of Internet resolutions.  I've noticed that when
> > my Internet connection is down, resolution by local machine name only takes
> > a long time.  Why is this?
>
>         Because the client walked the search list looking for AAAA
>         address then tried the name "as is" which requires talking
>         to the root servers.

May be worth adding...

Not all client apps perform IPv6 lookup first - urm mostly on
Linux it is OpenSSH - this might present an alternative work
around if this is a problem, make sure your client applications
do what you expect, not what they do out of the box.

See openssh in the archive of thi list for a more detailed
description of this issue.