DNS server able to resolve but unable to query root servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Apr 27 00:36:56 UTC 2002

Ashwin Kotian wrote:

> I'm having a problem with Split-DNS server running on a single machine
> (Redhat Linux 7.1) where the external server is able to resolve names
> for domains it is authoritative for but is unable to query any other
> root servers. If I remove the forwarder directive for the internal
> servers & use internal server as my primary DNS server, it can easily
> resolve & query all external domain names.

When you say "unable to query" do you mean it times out? Gives back a root
referral? What?

If it gives back a root referral, then that probably means that you have
recursion disabled.

> If I try to use the query source directive for the external name server
> & provide it a query source IP address, I see the error " could not get
> query source dispatcher " & the name server is still unable to contact
> the other root name servers.

Well, what address did you give it? You can't just pick any old address.
It has to be an address configured on the box.

- Kevin