bind on standalone pc

Jens SHVQCHUKSNNP at spammotel.com
Fri Apr 26 22:45:12 UTC 2002

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> If your provider provides a reasonable "default domain" via DHCP, then
> you should just be able to configure your MTA with the unqualified name
> "smtp" and it should just work, shouldn't it? Why do you need help from
> BIND here?

I use multiple providers with different names for the SMTP server, for
example mail.provider1.com, smtp.provider2.com. And for my mail
program, I want to use ONE server name for the outgoing mail server.

> For that matter, why do you need to configure your MTA with your
> provider's SMTP server name at all? Why not just use the MX records in
> the Internet DNS and deliver mail directly to their destinations? Is
> your provider adding any value here?

Don't know, most mail programs go through the smtp as a relay.

> > And with c) I want to resolv names like www.bbc.news, i.e. I define
> > some extrax (root-)servers.
>
> Configure your nameserver as a root server with a version of the root
> zone which is a superset of the real root zone. Make sure this "private
> root" server never answers queries from the Internet, however, otherwise
> you could poison other people's caches. Also, make sure to keep your
> private root zone constantly in synch with the real root zone otherwise
> you may find yourself unable to resolve names in recently-added ccTLDs
> and the like.

A zone of type slave?
But that means that my DNS contacts the real root servers every dial
in?

Jens