RTT doubt

jefferson.f.moreira at hsbc.com.br jefferson.f.moreira at hsbc.com.br
Fri Apr 26 17:49:14 UTC 2002

Hi all.

I have a doubt on DNS servers behavior regarding RTT.

Consider the following diagram:

      cwb.somenet.net.br                  cwb.somenet.net.br
            [cs1]                                [cs2]
              |                                    |
              |                                    |
     +------[Sw1]------+                  +------[Sw2]-----+
     /      /   \       \                /       /   \      \
    /      /     \       \              /       /     \      \
 (NS1)  [Srv1]   [Srv2]   \            /    [Srv3]   [Srv4]  (NS2)
                           \          /
                        (Router)---(Router)
                             \      /
                              \    /
                             (Router)

[ Corp NS ]---------------------+

CS1/2 =3D Content Service Switches with DNS service
Sw1 =3D  Switches
NS1/2 =3D Two Win2k Name servers. They=B4re not primary and secondary, but =
two
servers
with the same content.

These questions apply to a query from an external NS (let=B4s say, a
corporate NS)
querying NS1 that will delegate it to CS1.

q1: When there are 2 name servers (SOAs) for one domain, how is calculated
the
Round Trip Time? At exactly what moment will be calculated this RTT and how
often?

q2: in the event of one of teh CSx failing, will we have that 75=B4=B4 time=
out?
How to overcome that?
What is the default behavior?

Thanks...

Jefferson Fonseca Moreira
IT/Telecom Network Planning
HSBC Bank Brasil S.A. - Banco M=FAltiplo
jefferson.f.moreira at hsbc.com.br
+55-41-340-5600

This message and any attachments are confidential to the ordinary user of
the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be privileged. If
you are not the adressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any
part of the message or its attachments and if you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
delete it from your system.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain
viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the context of this message which arise as a result of
Internet transmission.