NOTIFY Failed: Not Authoritative for notify zone

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Apr 26 02:25:11 UTC 2002

> I've setup a Split DNS server on Redhat Linux 7.1 which is running 2
> daemons (internal & external servers ). Everytime I start the BIND
> services, the daemons start up & run successfully, but there is always
> this message which often gets repeated in the logs:
>
> notify failed: not authoritative for notify zone (REFUSED)

	Well upgrade to BIND 9.2 to get the name of the zone.
	Note BIND 9.3 will also report the client that sent the
	notify, but you need to run a snapshot.  Turning on
	debugging will supply this with BIND 9.2.

	Modern tcpdump also knows about notify so you could use
	this to find the client as well by coralating timestamps.

> What is the reason for this happening ?

	A server set you a notify request for a zone you don't
	serve.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org