How is a nameserver's hostname resolved?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Apr 25 18:55:26 UTC 2002

In article <aa9hqd$b3h at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jens Pettersson <jens at rda.se> wrote:

>Imagine the following scenario.
>
>1. "domainA.com" is registered at Network Solutions with nameservers
>"ns1.domainB.com" and "ns2.domainB.com". The NS-records for
>"domainA.com" is also set accordingly at these servers.
>
>2. I register two new nameservers "ns1.domainA.com" and
>"ns2.domainA.com" at Network Solutions. These two nameservers have no
>A-records in the "domainA.com" zone at "ns1.domainB.com" and
>"ns2.domainB.com".
>
>3. I register "domainC.com" at Network Solutions with nameservers set
>to "ns1.domainA.com" and "ns2.domainA.com".
>
>Yes, I'm a rookie on DNS, so please bare with me, but will this work?
>Will "domainC.com" be found? How are the addresses to nameservers
>"ns1.domainA.com" and "ns2.domainA.com" resolved? Are these A-records
>stored and queried at root-level or will the nameservers for
>"domainA.com" be queried for addresses?

The A records will be stored as glue records in the COM domain on the GTLD
servers.

It will probably work, but it's not good practice to depend on it.  Since
the domainA.com domain isn't delegated to these servers, the glue records
aren't really necessary, and the registry may detect this and ignore them.
You should always ensure that glue records are consistent with the
corresponding records in their domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA