Setting Up DNS, Non-existent host/domain - Newbie

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Apr 24 18:45:57 UTC 2002

In article <aa6l1q$5jp at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Michael H. <mykelkim34 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>nslookup gaia.taoki.lan  (my DNS server)
>
>I get :
>
>[taoki:/var/named] root# nslookup gaia.taoki.lan
>Server:  gaia.taoki.lan
>Address:  192.168.1.100
>
>*** gaia.taoki.lan can't find gaia.taoki.lan: Non-existent host/domain

Have you checked your log file to see if named reports any errors when it
starts up?

>my files are as such:

You left out the named.conf file.

>---------
>/var/named/db.taoki.lan
>
>; begin taoki.lan zone file
>;
>$TTL	3h
>@		IN	SOA	gaia.taoki.lan.	postmaster.taoki.lan. (
>					01112101	; serial, yymmdd##
>					3h		; refresh
>					1h		; retry
>					1w		; expire
>					1h		; negative caching
>					)
>;
>; nameserver
>;
>		IN	NS	gaia.taoki.lan.
>;
>; mail server
>;
>		IN	MX	10 gaia.taoki.lan.
>;
>; localhost
>;
>localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
>;
>;	hosts in taoki.org
>;
>gw		IN	A	192.168.1.1	; TCP/IP router
>gaia		IN	A	192.168.1.100	; Mac OS X
>mikado		IN	A	192.168.1.101	; Other Mac
>;printer		IN	A	192.168.1.102	; HP LaserJet 4ml - not used,
>commented-out

Is this "commented-out" word on a line by itself in the real file, or did
your news posting software wrap it?  If it's like this in the file, you
need to comment the line.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA