Setting up own DNS

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Wed Apr 24 18:39:04 UTC 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 06:57:34PM -0700, richard wrote:

> Sorry just re-read my above post and realised that amongst all my
> waffeling I forgot to actually ask a question.
>
> My question is :
>
> How do you set up your own DNS server (read above to understand the
> background)

This is a complex topic that is not easily covered in a short usenet
post. To gain the minimum level of understanding necessary to
competently run your own name server, you should at the very least read
some of the extended introductions to the topic that are available for
free on the internet. I'm told that the Linux DNS HOWTO is at least
passably good.

Realisticly, though, as an aspiring dns administrator you should go out
immediately and obtain a copy of the 4th edition of Paul Albitz &
Cricket Liu's book _DNS & BIND_, available from O'Reilly. Do *not* get
the 3rd edition, which despite its being seriously out of date some
booksellers are still trying to unload on the unsuspecting customer.

-Pete