DNS to block ads

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Apr 24 16:01:56 UTC 2002

Don Sutter <_drs at hevanet.com> wrote:
> I'm somewhat new at this DNS stuff but is it possible to somehow use my
> local copy of bind to make unwanted URL's disappear?  Unwanted URL's meaning
> known Ad Servers and by disappear I mean lookups resolve locally to
> 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 ... kinda' like RBL but for browsers.

Shure. Just create the zones IN THE SERVER THAT YOUR CLIENT USE
zone "doubleclick.net" in {
        type master;
        file "fake/fake";
};
zone "doubleclick.com" in {
        type master;
        file "fake/fake";
};
zone "targetnet.com" {
        type master;
        file "fake/fake";
};

Then create the zonefiles :
$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     sweet.manet.nu. peter.sweet.manet.nu. (
                        40     ; Serial
                       3600    ; Refresh
                       300     ; Retry
                       3600000 ; Expire
                       86400 )  ; Minimum
        IN      NS      sweet.manet.nu.
        IN      NS      ture.manet.nu.
;*      IN      A       127.0.0.1
*       IN      A       62.20.110.227

Various browsers do react differently depending on "if the link does
not exists", they might display ugly icons. In those cases one could
redirect to a http-server that just presents a small/fast icon.
Local experimentation is recommended.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)