zone xfer problems with split DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 23 20:17:47 UTC 2002

In article <aa4dbu$t8e at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
deviatethenorm <burn at variate.net> wrote:

>> You need to use a different "transfer-source" option in the two views, so
>> that the source addresses of the transfers match the corresponding views on
>> the master server.  Otherwise, how do you expect the master to know which
>> version of the domain it should return?
>

>um, now im getting lost, ns2 needs to pull the records from ns1, ns1
>houses both the named.internal and named.external files that are
>associated with the domain.com domain. it knows where to pull the
>files because of the masters {}; statement. it pulls files from the
>correct server, its just pulling the records from named.internal and
>putting them into named.external when i do a zone xfer.

Zone transfers don't work by file name, they work by domain name.  ns2
connects to ns1 and says "Send me all the records in the domain.com zone."

ns1 gets the address that this request comes from, and searches its list of
views.  If the address matches the internal view, it sends the records from
named.internal; if the address matches the external view, it sends the
records from named.external.

If you want your slave to be able to serve both views, it needs to have two
addresses: one that matches the external view, and another that matches the
internal view.  Use the "transfer-source" option within its views to force
it to use the appropriate one when it's pulling the records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA