DNS/DHCP Auto-Update "not a zone"

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 18 21:57:33 UTC 2002

Jan Peuker wrote:

> At first, I will excuse myself for not respecting the rules of formatting
> postings to this group.
> My Bind-Version is 8.2.4-RE2, my SOA-records(it thought they were the same)
> are in the appended Files.
> But now, my Bind-History:
> I made changes to my config-files, added real names("hauptserver") and @'s,
> reset the original files for localhost from the distribution and copied all
> SOA-Headers.
> Then, I got the message "destination address required." in my warn-log for
> dhcp, what I supposed to be a DNS Error again.
> A nslookup to hauptserver.netzwerk resolved
>  Server:hauptserver.netzwerk
>  Address: 192.168.100.101
>
>  *** hauptserver.netzwerk can't find hauptserver.netzwerk: Server failed.
>
> This reminds me of Windows-Networks, but I think, this time it's my fault.
> I found out, that recusively queries are being processed (e.g. host
> 192.168.100.101 returned hauptserver.netzerk).
> So I added another test-entry in my files and IT WORKED. But do you now
> while my old file didn't?
>
> follow up: named.conf, netzwerk.zone, test.zone after original message

You need a semicolon (";") here.

> zone "localhost" in {
>  type master;
>  file "localhost.zone";
> };
>
> # THIS IS WORKING!
> zone "test" in {
>  type master;
>  file "test.zone";
>  allow-update { internal; };
>  notify no;
> }

You need a semicolon here also. Apparently two syntax errors sometimes gets
the parser further than a single one does (i.e. more errors actually yield
better results, paradoxically).

You should make it a habit to look more closely at your logs. These errors
should have been reported in significant detail.

- Kevin