MX Record Sub-Domain Problem

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Apr 17 17:19:32 UTC 2002

In article <a9k95s$h3g at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
William Benneke <william.bennecke at ey-as.com> wrote:
>If I understand you correctly, then there should be a NS record in the
>zone file for the subdomain I want to add my MX record to.

That's what the error message implied.

>I am sorry for not showing the complete zone file earlier.  Here it
>is:
>
>db.cgeygoa
>$TTL	3600
>@	IN 	SOA	ns1.ey-as.com. postmaster.ey-as.com (
>			2002041706
>			10800
>			3600
>			604800
>			3600 )
>
>; Name servers
>;
>;
>				IN NS ns1.ey-as.com.
>				IN NS ns2.ey-as.com.
>				IN MX 10 mail01.ey-as.com.
>				IN MX 20 mail02.ey-as.com.
>				IN NS ns2.ey-as.com.
>
>;
>
>; localhost			IN A 127.0.0.1
>
>ns1.ey-as.com.			IN A 122.43.2.15
>ns2.ey-as.com.			IN A 122.43.2.16
>
>;; Other hosts

Are you doing split DNS?  When I query ns1.ey-as.com for this domain, I get
very different data:

% dig ey-as.com any @ns1.ey-as.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ey-as.com any @ns1.ey-as.com
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 4
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	ey-as.com, type = ANY, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ey-as.com.		1H IN MX	10 chntmail01.ey-as.com.
ey-as.com.		1H IN MX	10 chntmail02.ey-as.com.
ey-as.com.		1H IN NS	ns1.ey-as.com.
ey-as.com.		1H IN NS	ns2.ey-as.com.
ey-as.com.		1H IN SOA	ns1.ey-as.com. postmaster.ey-as.com. (
					2002041603	; serial
					3H		; refresh
					1H		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					1H )		; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ey-as.com.		1H IN NS	ns1.ey-as.com.
ey-as.com.		1H IN NS	ns2.ey-as.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
chntmail01.ey-as.com.	1H IN A		165.252.27.20
chntmail02.ey-as.com.	1H IN A		165.252.27.121
ns1.ey-as.com.		1H IN A		165.252.27.12
ns2.ey-as.com.		1H IN A		165.252.27.13

;; Total query time: 77 msec
;; FROM: tools.genuity.com to SERVER: ns1.ey-as.com  165.252.27.12
;; WHEN: Wed Apr 17 13:15:53 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 27  rcvd: 256

>If I were looking for a NS record for sub-domain delegation I should
>see something like this:
>
>$ORIGIN parent.example.
>subdomain.parent.example.     IN NS ns1.subdomain.parent.example.
>ns1.subdomain.parent.example. IN A  10.1.2.3
>
>I do not see this in the db.cgeygoa zone file.
>Am, I looking in the wrong spot?

There doesn't need to be an $ORIGIN statement, but it should be something
like that.

>The only entry that looks suspect is the second NS record for
>"ns2.ey-as.com".
>Why is this here?

Possibly a leftover from an earlier version of the zone file.  Duplicate
records are ignored.

>Also note there are no A records for mail01 or mail02 in this zone
>file.

That will make it difficult for someone to send mail to users in this
domain.  But since your server doesn't seem to be hosting the public
version of the zone, it may not matter.  The important entries are the
chntmail01 and chntmail02 A records in the external version of the domain.
MX records are often not used internally within your LAN.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA