Expire question

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Apr 16 15:30:27 UTC 2002

Rasmus Aaen <ra at back-bone.dk> wrote:

> Hi all,

> We have two nameservers responsible for our domain (byggeweb.dk). Both are
> running BIND 8.3.1 on Win2000. The primary server is located at our office
> and the slave is at a ISP hosting center, along with the webserver. Today
> our office internet connection went down, and with it the connection to our
> primary dns server. No problem, I thought; the slave name server will
> continue resolving our domain. But alas! After about one hour the slave name
> server expired the record, effectively shutting our website down. This is
> what I don't understand, since the soa record for the zone has an expire
> value of 10 days.

> To get the website up again, I changed the zone type from slave to master on
> the slave name server, which solved the problem. One of the suggestions to
> prevent this in the future is to run both nameserves as masters, but I would
> like to avoid having to sync the files manually.

> Am I missing something, or is our name servers improperly configured?

Do i understand you right : the local network with the slaveserver
was isolated from Internet, and within one hour it lost capability
to resolve the slave zone ?

One possibility that strikes me is :
the nameserver has a name "dns2.back-bone.dk." and the 'A' record
for that name has teh embarrysing short TTLof one hour. Well,
after one hour, it tries to get this info from Internet ( since it
is not auth for "back-bone.dk." and fails. After this failure
it's goes introverted and refuses to work.

Why not call it "ns.byggweb.dk" and assign it a reasonable TTL ?

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)