Expire question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 16 14:58:01 UTC 2002

In article <a9hbhv$b6c at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Rasmus Aaen  <ra at back-bone.dk> wrote:
>We have two nameservers responsible for our domain (byggeweb.dk). Both are
>running BIND 8.3.1 on Win2000. The primary server is located at our office
>and the slave is at a ISP hosting center, along with the webserver. Today
>our office internet connection went down, and with it the connection to our
>primary dns server. No problem, I thought; the slave name server will
>continue resolving our domain. But alas! After about one hour the slave name
>server expired the record, effectively shutting our website down. This is
>what I don't understand, since the soa record for the zone has an expire
>value of 10 days.

When you list the zone file on the slave server, what is its modification
time?  This is how the slave keeps track of when it last successfully
refreshed the zone, which is used for determining whether the zone should
expire.

We've never seen this problem with BIND on Solaris, so it could be a bug in
the Windows port (although I think such an eggregious error would have been
noticed long ago).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA