/var/adm/messages & DNS for Dummies

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 16 00:47:24 UTC 2002

The preferred method to stop and start named is to use ndc (BIND 8) or rndc
(BIND 9). The less preferred -- but still fairly common -- method is to
send signals to the named process and/or just run it, e.g.
/usr/sbin/in.named, from the command line. A very *unpreferred*,
*disrecommended* way is to run inetsvc. This does a whole bunch of other
stuff to your network subsystem besides stopping and starting named. In
fact, your log extract indicates that inetd -- which is stopped/started by
inetsvc -- is the daemon complaining into the logs, presumably because the
shutdown wasn't clean and there was already an inetd daemon running when
another was trying to start (the "bind" in the error message doesn't refer
to BIND; it refers to the bind() system or library call). Note also that
when inetd is down, no-one can telnet, ftp, etc. to the box, so you could
be hurting your system availability. Using inetsvc to bounce named is like
brushing your hair with a garden rake...

Note also that you don't necessarily need to stop and start named
completely for *every* change that you make to your DNS setup. Many changes
require only a "reload" (available through ndc/rndc or via a signal) or a
"reconfig" (available only through ndc/rndc). If you just want to instruct
named to reload a single zonefile, you can issue a "reload {zone}" command
through ndc/rndc.

- Kevin