9.2 & RH 7.2?

James Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Sun Apr 14 13:40:03 UTC 2002

Me wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some Bind 8.2.3 servers running on Red Hat 6.2, which are chugging
> along just fine. The boss wants me to upgrade them to RH 7.2 and Bind 9.2,
> but the ISC page says they have a good build on RH 7.0,  unverified success
> on 7.1 but doesn't mention anything about 7.2.
>
> Can anyone confirm whether they had any problems with 9.2 on RH 7.2 (the
> downloadable version)?

I build the new versions of BIND as they are released.  Currently this
is what I have on one of the test machine here at the "lab".

    [artch at sparta artch]$ /usr/local/sbin/named -v
    BIND 9.2.1rc2
    [artch at sparta artch]$ cat /etc/issue
    Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)

No problems at all.  It is useful to read the FAQs, READMEs, etc. if you
are going to build your own.  The default install is into the /usr/local
tree.  I use this so as to perserve the original RedHat BIND package in
the /usr tree.  This means that a small change to the
/etc/rc.d/initd/named script needs to be made to point to the correct
executables.

Note this this is not a production name server, just a lightly loaded
function and security testing target.

Regards,
Jim