DNS tutor needed

scratch wmedia at xtra.co.nz
Sat Apr 13 00:33:05 UTC 2002

> > $TTL    259200
>
> Rather generous default TTL, sound remote server will honour
> this and cache data for 3 days, great when everything is stable
> if that is what you want, but whilst setting up.....

Would 43200 be better? Or less?

> > @               IN      SOA     server.my.own.domain.
my.email.address.
> > (
> >                                 20020103015     ; serial
>
> This serial is too big, serial number arithmetic leaves just
> enough room for YYYYMMDDNN, changing these is a pain, but better
> do it now, then wonder why when you query the serial in future
> it doesn't show the number you entered.

So whats the best way to change it if its a pain? (I thought YYYYMMDDNNN was
acceptable......?)

> >                                 3600            ; refresh       - 1 hour
> >                                 3600            ; retry         - 1 hour
>
> BIND 8 use to complain at this refresh < 2 * retry......

7200 then?

> Check you log files.... Is named-checkzone happy with the file.

No it isn't......

 /usr/sbin/named-checkzone teawamutu.net.db
dns_zone_load: zone teawamutu.net.db/IN: loading master file
teawamutu.net.db: file not found

> >                                 604800          ; expire        - 7 days
> >                                 7200 )          ; default_ttl   - 2
hours

> That's negative TTL not default.

Sorry?