Help with reverse addressing

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Apr 11 16:43:57 UTC 2002

Michael D. Kirkpatrick <wizard at psychodad.com> wrote:

> I am not sure if I set up my reverse lookups correctly or not.  I do
> not know how to test all aspects to verify that I did it correctly.
> The only tool I know of is 'nslookup ip.ad.dd.ress'

> I have forward and reverse set for the following address:
> 12.45.204.6  =  web1.ca-industries.com

> When I do an nslookup on either one, it looks ok to me.  The only
> problem is that now I am getting bounced messages from mail servers
> with weird errors like DNS failure, Invalid sender, etc...  I just
> started deligating my own reverse lookup addresses and the bounce
> E-Mail started flowing in.  Can anyone please look at my records and
> tell me if something is wrong?

Your nameservers works. BUT :

1/ you have filters that strips TCP/53 , this might or might not
create connectivity problems

2/ all of your nameservers are located on the same subnet in the end of
the same link. This is definitly a problem. Try to find a slave
somewheer else and add to your delegation records.maybe your ISP could
do this ?

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)