PTR question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Apr 10 17:20:11 UTC 2002

In article <a91nt1$8pl at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Someone  <please at nospam.net> wrote:
>I will receive 8 ip addresses from my provider and I saw that this
>provider has already associated a A and PTR RR to my IP addresses under
>his domain name.
>
>What I would like to know is, will that disturb me ? I will have my own
>domain using those IP addresses and would like to have my PTR and my A
>RR associated with them. What will then happen if someone queries for
>the PTR, will it give both ??

That depends on your provider.  If they remove the old PTR records when
they add the custom ones that you request, then they'll only get the ones
you supply.  If they leave the old PTR records when they add yours, they'll
both be returned by the query.

Most software that does reverse lookups only uses the first name in the
response.  As long as that name resolves back to the original address,
things should be fine.  Since both your custom name and the ISP's default
name should translate to your address, you should be OK.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA