Naming a DNS Server

Brian Guild Brian at body1.com
Wed Apr 10 17:18:58 UTC 2002

Guys,

I am totally confused.  I have set up my own DNS server successfully.  But,
when I go to a registrar and try to assign this DNS server to a particular
domain name by its IP number, it will not allow me to do so stating I must
enter the FQDN.

My question: how does one "name a name server" without having dependency on
another name server.  Do you do it through Verisign or Internic...or what?
I am moving my colocation, and part of that is that I will loose access to
their DNS servers.  I must set up my own servers to resolve my names, and it
doesn't make any sense to have dependency on other name servers to give my
actual DNS server a name.

Sincerely,

A very confused guy

Brian Guild
Network Manager
Body1, Inc.
Business: 617-576-9400
Fax: 617-576-9430
Body1, Inc.  "Where HealthCare and Technology Meet"
Preview "eForums" Online Meeting tools at: http://www.Body1.com/demo.cfm
<http://www.Body1.com/demo.cfm>
Receive a free bimonthly health "e" letter:
http://www.body1.com/inside/index.cfm?action=2
<http://www.body1.com/inside/index.cfm?action=2>
http://www.Body1.com <http://www.Body1.com>
http://www.Wounds1.com <http://www.Wounds1.com>