All nameservers unresponsive when master is down

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Apr 10 15:36:27 UTC 2002

In article <a91fhk$7pe at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Sam Pointer  <sam.pointer at hpdsoftware.com> wrote:
>What are you thoughs on me reducing the number of presented nameservers to
>2, ns1 and ns2 and setting this up thus:
>
>hpdsc.com.	NS	ns1.hpdsc.com.
>hpdsc.com.	NS	ns2.hpdsc.com.
>
>ns1.hpdsc.com	IN A	212.158.99.194
>ns2.hpdsc.com	IN A 	195.167.246.4
>
>and have one nameserver per leased line in my case, which should surely mean
>that if the leased line serving the "212 network" was to go down, ns2 would
>be avaliable to answer queries.

I think this may be a good idea.  If a single failure is likely to take
down two addresses at once, listing both of them is not helpful.  A server
that fails to get to one of them might fail over to the other one, which is
bound to fail as well.  By the time both of these timeouts occur, the
client will probably have given up.  It's best to list servers that are as
independent as possible from each other.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA