Please Help? MX and domain name issue

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 9 21:48:37 UTC 2002

In article <a8vmdg$2f9 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <scottf at oit.edu> wrote:
>Some stupid mailers ignore MX records, end up trying to go through the
>IP address associated with domain.edu

I doubt this very much.  MX records have been in use almost since the
beginning of the Internet, and any mailservers that ignore them would have
difficulty reaching many sites, since many organizations are set up the way
you are.  Do you have specific examples of sites that route mail
incorrectly, or are you investigating this just in case?

In any case, if there really are such mail servers, I don't think there's
any way to make mail go to one address and web browsers go to a different
address for the same name.  You would either have to set up a mail relay on
the web server, or run a web server on the mail server and have it redirect
everything to www.<domain>

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA