dns stats (fwd)

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Thu Apr 4 23:36:04 UTC 2002

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 04:42:12PM -0500, Art Houle wrote:

>   We are running "named 8.2.3-REL" and I am trying to get stats so that I
> can put them into mrtg for graphing.  However I am having a problem with
> the command to get stats and would like input is anybody can interpret the
> error message I get back:
>
> dns1# /usr/sbin/ndc stats
> ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
> ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/run/ndc)

I'll assume that BIND is actually running. You need to give the path to
your ndc channel with the "-c" option to ndc. Here how I dump stats on
my nameservers:

 /usr/local/sbin/ndc -c /var/bind.root/r/ndc/ndc stats

If you don't know where your ndc channel is, look in you conf file for
something like:

controls {
        unix "/ndc/ndc"
        perm 600
        owner 0
        group 0;
};

...and use the path in double quotes after "unix".
--
Nate

The doctrine of human equality reposes on this: that there is no man
really clever who has not found that he is stupid.