nameserver listening on 3 different addresses

Pete Peterson petersonp at genrad.com
Thu Apr 4 19:53:16 UTC 2002

> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> From: Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net>
> Subject: Re: nameserver listening on 3 different addresses
>
> In article <a8i6dk$655 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Pete Peterson <petersonp at genrad.com> wrote:
> >Is there some way to control the address/port on which "host" makes its
> >inquiries?  "dig" seems to let me specify the port, but not the source
> >address.
>
> I don't think there's an option to "host", but dig has the -b option to let
> you specify the source address and/or port.

Thanks for the reply, Barry.

Hmmm -- my digs, the one that came with 8.2.3 and the one that came with
with Red Hat 7.2 (bind 9.1.3) , admit to a -p option to specify a port, but
no -b option.

> For the nameserver itself, you can use the query-source option to specify
> the source address it uses when performing recursive queries.

Yes -- I had done that and it worked fine.  What really puzzles me, though,
is why this had been working for over a year and suddenly stopped working
with everything on the machine unchanged.  I had installed an updated
kernel, but the problem remained when I reverted to the previous kernel.

Does anyone know the basis for how BIND selects the originating port address?

--
        pete peterson
        Teradyne, Inc.

        pete.peterson at teradyne.com or petersonp at genrad.com
        +1-978-589-7478 (Office); +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX);
        +1-978-589-7007 (Main Teradyne Westford FAX)