Restarting BIND server for sub-domain

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Apr 4 18:20:10 UTC 2002

In article <a8i191$5ua at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jack Fortune  <jack_fortune at towergrp.com> wrote:
>Should restarting the BIND server for a sub-domain have any potential for
>causing problems with the master
>server for the domain?

No.  If it did, the servers for the COM domain would be in big trouble,
wouldn't they?  There are thousands of servers for COM's subdomains, and
there are almost certainly several of them restarting every day.

>We recently had an event where we restarted the bind server for
>ATL.XXX.COM which, apparently, upset the
>XXX.COM server so that it would not resolve one of the names that was
>serviced by the ATL.XXX.COM
>server.

Is the master for XXX.COM also a slave for ATL.XXX.COM?  That's the only
way I can think that there might be a relationship.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA