Problems with a basic setup, whereas it works if I force dig to use a root server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Apr 4 15:48:01 UTC 2002

In article <a8gv23$256 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Alain Tesio  <alain at onesite.org> wrote:
>I'm running bind 9.2.0 on linux debian, I don't understand why
>I got the error "no servers could be reached" whereas it works
>if I tell dig to use A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
>
>The only nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf is 127.0.0.1
>Everything is normal at the startup in syslog files
>There is no file in /var/cache/bind
>I have a brand new db.root file
>No packet filtering is used
>It works fine with most other domains
>
>I thought it should query the root servers, so I don't understand
>why it doesn't work differently when I force a root server.
>So when it says "no servers could be reached" what server is
>he trying to reach ?

He's trying to reach your local server, and your local server is trying to
reach ns1.getset.com, the authoritative server for the victory.bc.ca
domain.  However, that server isn't responding.

The delegation records for the victory.bc.ca domain also list
ns2.getset.com and dns1.idc-inc.net, which are responding.  However, the NS
records in the domain itself don't include those servers, and once they get
cached by your local server, they take precedence.  So you're never failing
over to the slave servers.

This is why it's important to include all your servers in both the
delegation records and the NS records in the zone file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA