Drifting OT (was Re: FW: "no data known" vrs "host not found")

James Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Wed Apr 3 14:29:26 UTC 2002

Simon Waters wrote:

> James Griffin wrote:
> >
> > On my test lan, I have a machine corinth.athena.inc. that sometimes runs
> > an http/s server but not mail servers.  In the athena.inc. zone were:
> >    athena.inc. CNAME corinth.athena.inc.
> >    athena.inc. MX 5 sparta.athena.inc.
> >    along with the usual A RRs.
>
> Urm that should trigger a "CNAME and other" error, no?

OOPS! Right you are, it would, if that is what I had actually had in the
zone.  I should have looked at the zone rather than typing what my
(obviously faulty memory) thought I had done.

The athena.inc. zone contains (in part):
@               IN      MX      5       sparta.athena.inc.
@               IN      A       192.168.1.3     ; corinth.athena.inc.
www                     IN      CNAME   corinth
ntp                     IN      CNAME   minerva
corinth                 IN      A       192.168.1.3
sparta                  IN      A       192.168.1.8
win2000                 IN      A       192.168.1.13
minerva                 IN      A       192.168.1.14

> > FWIW
> >
> > From the RELEASE-NOTES for sendmail 8.12.0/8.12.0   2001/09/08
> >
> >         T_ANY queries are no longer used by sendmail.
>
> Other MTA's use ANY - so whilst you might be able to work around
> other peoples DNS misconfigurations by fiddling with sendmail
> versions, and options, I'd take the view that it is someone
> elses problem.

Let's try another MTA

$postfix hostmaster at www.usaid.gov. < /dev/null

Apr 03 09:18:38.700 client 192.168.1.14#35992: query: www.usaid.gov IN
MX
Apr 03 09:18:43.840 client 192.168.1.14#35993: query:
hera.info.usaid.gov IN MX
Apr 03 09:18:48.860 client 192.168.1.14#35994: query: www.usaid.gov IN A

Anyone else got MTA they can try?  Make sure you use a mail domain that
is not in your cache.

Regard,
Jim