Are there Any Known Issues with MS DNS and MS dhcp Servers?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Apr 2 17:53:54 UTC 2002

	This may not seem like the place to post this question,
but we use bind9 masters and slaves at this site.  A department
has what is now a child dns within our zone and it is a Microsoft
dns fed by a Microsoft dhcp server.

	This is not our choice at all, but we are trying to make
the best of it as we do not have root access to this dns.

	We are quite picky about having addresses that are
reverse-mappable and domain names that come as close as you can
in a large organization to making sense which sometimes helps in
tracking down ownership of systems that are misconfigured or
compromised.

	We realize that all names in the subdomain we set up are
beyond our control so that is not an issue, but what is an issue
are failure or malfunction modes that anybody may have seen that
are either peculiar to DDNS or especially peculiar to Microsoft's
combination of dhcp and dns.  In other words, How do they usually
break?

	In all fairness, any system can crash.  A recent routing
loop that was accidentally created brought down a FreeBSD box
which died a screaming death as it printed scores of "No buffer
space available" messages in its system logs.
We have been as pleased as punch with how both the bind and dhcpd
products work under normal conditions and we want this great
record to continue.

	I am asking my questions to get an idea of what we might
be in store for since our only control at present is to pull the
glue records if things melt down.

	What about security issues?  At least any malicious
activity involving the Windows box should stay within the child
domain and not appear in the broader okstate.edu domain.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group