FW: "no data known" vrs "host not found"

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 2 16:47:02 UTC 2002

In article <a8cmme$bc4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, admjcd  <admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:

>One last Question then?
>
> Why would an "ANY" or "ALL" query fail until after you run a MX or A
>query then start working again?

If there's nothing cached, your local server has to forward the query to
the authoritative server, which responds in a screwy way, causing the
failure.

Once you've performed an MX or A query, your server has information for the
name cached.  An ANY query will return whatever happens to be in the cache.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA