HELP? WIn32 BIND v9.2.0 - (CASE UPDATE - maneuveringspeed.com - conf files posted)

Greg Long bind at gregory.myftp.org
Tue Apr 2 04:12:55 UTC 2002

THOUGH IT IS STILL NOT WORKING YET - I appreciate all the help - I have
received some good pointers and observations which I'll comment on
below.  I have helped a LOT of people out in the past on other issues,
and it's really true that what goes around comes around.

I ran bindconf on my redhat 7.2 box over, copied the key files over, and
attempted to use those, but it still won't launch.

For anyone who has a minute to peek at these files, I have zipped and
posted them at http://gregory.myftp.org/etc.zip - It's still not
resolving the zone, I'm probably missing something obvious to someone
with more BIND experience than I have.  If you can suggest changes and
want to make them and email them back to me by all means, knock yerself
out :)

It is important to note that all of the config files are in the etc
directory as this is the Win32 version of BIND 9.2.0 - though it
functions the same the paths are slightly different than in the various
unix/linux flavors. (see below if not familiar)

As far as the secondary server - I see the error with putting in my
ISP's server.  I'll get one of the freebie's set up to take care of
things.  (if my server fails DNS it is most likely down and won't serve
anything else, but it's still good to have a backup)

During the search to find solutions, I found references to GUI's that
interface with BIND, but surprisingly no "bindconf.exe" and I might
suggest that if it's not difficult and time consuming, the team might
port one to Win32.

In case anyone is wondering, "design maneuvering speed" is an
aeronautical term referring to the maximum speed a fixed wing aircraft
can tolerate full control movements - the wing will stall before it is
overstressed.  I'm sure I'll do some cool stuff with the page eventually
as I get into the open source Flight Simulator project (www.flightgear.org).

Thanks,
Greg

----Orginal Message from 3/31/02---------------
After spending a couple days on the documentation and searching around
for how-to's I'm still bit stuck on setting up BIND.

Things SOMEWHAT make sense, but what I would think would be a most
simple setup has still got me stumped.

I purchased a domain, maneuveringspeed.com. I have set up the domain
with godaddy.com, and successfully have it pointing to my server box
running WinXP - eagle.maneuveringspeed.com at 66.190.240.42

The named.conf and rndc.conf files are pasted in below.

FIRST OF ALL: It's working for DNS resolution for everything BUT my domain.

A whois report through Verisign's www.nsiregistry.com
<http://www.nsiregistry.com>

 Domain Name: MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM
   Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
   Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
   Name Server: NS1.CHARTER.COM
   Name Server: EAGLE.MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM
   Updated Date: 31-mar-2002

I had to plug in my cablemodem's provider because I only have the one IP
adddress (unless I can set two DNS servers up on my one IP - and
preferably one box, though I could spare a second)
EAGLE.MANEUVERINGSPEED.COM is registered as the primary, I see that the
whois above lists it reverse order.

My network configuration is quite simple, since my serving needs are
just for myself and my small family, and the website will be very low
traffic (family and friends, pictures, that sort of thing).  All the
services I will use (mail, web, ftp, dns) will reside on one box.

My IP is techincally dynamic, but is actually quite static (Thanks,
Charter).  If it changes, I can reconfigure down the line and put up
with the time delay for changes to become effective.

I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 4port DSL/CABLE router - these are pretty
common and function fine.  The internal LAN address for EAGLE is
192.168.1.100 - and is currently set up as a DMZ while I troubleshoot,
so all calls to port 953 (or 53 or any other than a few routed
elsewhere) will go to this box.

I'm pretty confident anything resolved to my IP (66.190.240.42) goes to
this box, as I'm currently utilizing no-ip.com service for a friendly
name (gregory.myftp.org - works great)

I have seen some documentation which gives examples for name caching
servers, reverse lookups, and a host of other setups which seem to me to
be far more complicated than what I need - the resolution of anything
that hits maneuveringspeed.com to resolve to my IP.

NOTE FOR THOSE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE WIN32 VERSION OF BIND: As near as I
can tell, it's close to the Linux version: The installer creates a dns
dir in System32 with two subdirs: bin and etc.

I want to go with BIND vs. a free or low cost Windows GUI DNS server as
I'll be migrating all my services over to Linux 'fore too long and I'll
be using BIND then for sure.

I'm open to suggestions, if possible, sample configuration files? My
current ones are below, note that the secret has been omitted here.