SRV resource records & Dynamic Updates

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Apr 1 19:45:19 UTC 2002

Antonio Paraiso <aparaiso at ita.es> wrote:
> I have bind 8.2.3 running on solaris 8/intel.

> As you know, BIND includes SRV RR support for RFC 2052 compliance, in
> version 8.2.2 and up.
> Unfortunately, dynamic updates to add SRV type records don´t work, as you
> can see below:

can't speak for bind-8.2.3 but bind-9.2.0 does work with SRV records :
ns:peter {109} nsupdate
> server 127.0.0.1
> update add _http._tcp.www.dyn.manet.nu. 3600 IN SRV 0 1 80 www.manet.nu.

dig _http._tcp.www.dyn.manet.nu. srv

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0 <<>> _http._tcp.www.dyn.manet.nu. srv
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_http._tcp.www.dyn.manet.nu.   IN      SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:

Note that you might have a problem with adding into TLD 'www.' here !
You probably meant "_http._tcp.www.movie.edu."

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)