use of multiple masters per domain?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 1 19:39:26 UTC 2002

In article <a8ab8v$ach at pub3.rc.vix.com>, bert hubert  <ahu at ds9a.nl> wrote:
>While working on the bind compatibility module of PowerDNS, we were
>wondering what the use is of specifying multiple masters for a zone?
>
>Does bind check them round robin? Or in order, if any of them are down?

It tries all of them, and if any has a higher serial number than the slave,
the zone will be transferred from it.  It's essentially a failover feature,
as it allows the operator to turn a slave into a master, and all the other
slaves (which point to both masters) will automatically switch over.  It
can also be useful if a single master has multiple addresses, which are
reached via different network routes; if one of the paths is down, the
slaves can pull from the other address.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA