Simple question about subdomains

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Mon Apr 1 14:22:09 UTC 2002

<Spelcher at lana.pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:a893il$hc3 at pub3.rc.vix.com...

> I have a linux DNS server setup as my primary and secondary nameserver. I
have a Windows 2000 machine that has it's own IP address
> that I would like to use to host my domain along with a few subdomains.
>
> My question is, if I create several subdomain names like sub.domain.com
and sub2.domain.com and they all point to the same IP
> address, how does the windows machine differentiate between them? Do I
need to setup DNS on my windows 2000 machine, and if so how?

You don't need DNS on your 2000 machine.  You can have as many A records
with the same IP as you want.  For most services, you 2000 machine does not
know or care which name was used to get to it.

For a web server, you only care if you want each name to serve different
content.  If you don't the default setup where all names serve the same
content should work.  If you do, web browsers will send a host header that
specifies which name they wanted.  Your web server software will need to
know how to handle that.  Current versions of IIS can do this - I've seen an
article about how to set it up in the MS Knowledge Base, so search that.