subdomain has intermitant problems

Joseph Begumisa begj at eahd.or.ug
Sun Sep 30 12:19:48 UTC 2001

> DNS was recently set up for the subdomain games.webflasher.com. Since that
> time (1 week ago), it has worked intermittantly, i.e. it was up ... and now
> it's down. It's resolveable occasionally by some resolvers, and at the same
> time unresolveable by others.
>
> The nameservers ns1.conepuppy.com & ns2.conepuppy.com are authoritative for
> the webflasher.com domain. My understanding of DNS leads me to believe that
> if a resolver can find those nameservers for webflasher.com, then it should
> also be asking them about games.webflasher.com (since they're authoritative
> for the whole domain, and sub-domains). If thats the case, then
> games.webflasher.com should be resolvable, because querying
> ns1.conepuppy.com gets the right IP for games.webflasher.com (and
> webflasher.com DNS works fine).
>
> Me=confused - can anyone shed some light on this situation for me?

from diagnostics, ns2.conepuppy.com knows nothing about
games.webflasher.com.(see the status of NXDOMAIN) most likely the zone
hasn't yet been transfered from the master.

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> +norec @ns2.conepuppy.com. games.webflasher.com. any
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      games.webflasher.com, type = ANY, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
webflasher.com.         1D IN SOA       ns1.conepuppy.com. hostmaster.conepuppy.com
                                  200108311       	; serial
                                        8H              ; refresh
                                        2H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 707 msec
;; FROM: azlan to SERVER: ns2.conepuppy.com.  66.154.0.3
;; WHEN: Sun Sep 30 14:14:34 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 38  rcvd: 99

 Joseph.