Newbie: Prog to bypass VLAN 10.x.x.x IP and use a server?

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Fri Sep 28 18:31:18 UTC 2001

BHall wrote:

> A friend of mine told me of a program that you run on your local
> machine and it sends out Dynamic DNS information or something to a
> server, which you then point to for free to access your server and
> allow you to access it like a public IP address.  Does anyone know of
> such a program?  Please e-mail response.  Thanks in advance.

this is true for dynamic (changing) email addresses, but not for private
class IP addresses (such as 10.x.x.x).  these aren't accessible from
outside your network.

so the problem isn't that your IP changes; your problem is that your IP
address is by design inaccessible from outside the network.  since this
was probably done for security reasons, the chances your school will
setup NAT for you are slim to none.

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/

-- Type: application/ms-tnef